Aluminum Foil for Pharmaceuticals
Many of alufoil’s properties combine to provide user-friendly, safe and versatile packaging formats for pharmaceutical tablets, creams, liquids and powders. Alufoil’s excellent barrier properties totally exclude moisture, oxygen and other gases, micro-organisms and light, maintaining degradable products in peak condition over long periods. Foil comes in a completely sterile condition due to the annealing temperature and final conditioning processes. It is not hazardous to health, and many suppliers offer dedicated ‘clean-room’ printing and laminating or printing and packing facilities to ensure medical standards of sterility.
Aluminum has unparalleled properties and unique features such as:
- ability to completely exclude humidity, microorganisms (bacteria), light, oxygen and other gases;
- protection between the product and the external environment, creating the necessary barrier between both;
- is not reactive with the product and does not add odor or taste;
- it is not toxic or dangerous to health because it do not contains plasticizers and is environmentally friendly;
- makes dispensing easy but at the same time is “child-resistant”;
- can be hermetically sealed, and its improved sealing for thermoformed films ensures high performance;
- is moldable and easily adaptable to packaging production equipment;
- “long shelf life”.
- Aluminum foil can be easily coated, laminated, printed, cut or split, cold formed and embossed which qualifies it as an extremely versatile tool for the packaging designer.
- Guaranteed efficiency in blister lines with proven processability.
8011-H18 foil and 8021-O cold form foil are representative products of medicinal aluminium foil used in pharmaceuticals. In pharmaceutical packaging, 8011 aluminum foil is often used for making aluminum foil plastic blister, and 8021 aluminum foil is often used for making aluminum foil blister.
8011-H18 aluminum foil is common to adhere to the back side of the plastic packaging material. The aluminum foil is widely used as a medical packaging material after compounding, printing and coating. Therefore, the surface of the medicine aluminium foil is required to be clean, uniform in color, free from spots and flat without pinholes. To be in touch with the medicine directly, the aluminium foil for medical packaging has excellent moisture resistance, shading and high barrier ability, strong mechanical properties, high anti-blasting performance and strong puncture and tear resistance.
The cold-formed aluminum foil 8021-O is pressed and formed into a sealed package after deep drawing. Therefore, it has strong mechanical properties, high blast resistance, strong puncture and tear resistance. Excellent moisture resistance, shading and high barrier ability are also needed. Aluminium foil used in pharmaceuticals should has clean surface, uniform color, no spots, no oil, no pinholes, the bacteria, mold and other tests should be passed, heavy metals do not exceed 0.25 per million, strict implementation of industry standards to ensure safety and health.